Saturday 28 June 2014

How it all began, hand sewing late into the night

I love making unique creatures, it takes me back to how my business all started....

My story started in 2009, Christmas was looming and with 3 boys and not much money for presents I started to hand sew presents, my background is in art and textile design although up to this point I hadn’t really done much sewing apart from clothes during and after I was on the fashion design course at Blackpool and the Fylde college.

I had been reading a book for bedtime to my youngest son all about a mudskipper called Splurge, he lived underground below our earth and wasn’t happy as earths rubbish kept landing in his world, my son loved the character so much I decided I would make him a toy of it for Christmas, night after night when the boys had gone to bed I sewed Splurge, once I had finished him my partner and I couldn’t stop laughing at how funny he was.



I was so excited for him to be opened on christmas morning. I made my other boys fabric robots. I also made some girly gifts for family members too. I had saved a lot of money plus really enjoyed my time making them with love.


Since then I have gone on to make hundreds of handmade items but hand sewing in the evening whilst watching a film is still my favourite thing. I love people's requests and interpreting them into a handmade creature.

No comments: