Sunday 29 November 2015

10 Children’s Books You Should Read As An Adult

Someone shared this on facebook and I was intrigued which books The Autism site had picked, here are their top 10:

1. Where The Wild Things Are


Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
Oh Max. He just wanted a little independence! At the end of the day, while it is nice to have people listen to you, the ones who are willing to give you some tough love are worth fighting for. After all, if they stuck around while you were causing a wild rumpus, they must be pretty special.

2. I’ll Love You Forever

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
As a kid, this is such a reaffirming book, with the message that your parents love you even when you flush their favorite watch down the toilet! As an adult, this book is an insightful reminder how we are to love our parents as they age, and the role of caretaker is sometimes reversed. Go ahead, grab some tissues when re-reading this one!

3. Goodnight Moon

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
Now, you may be thinking, “seriously? Goodnight Moon?” And my answer is a resounding, “you bet.” Here’s the thing; when was the last time you stopped to be thankful for the moon? This book is an excellent reminder to slow down at the end of the day, and take stock of what we are thankful for.

4. Where The Sidewalk Ends

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
Dear Mr. Silverstein, my childhood would have been vastly different had you not blessed the world with your words and drawings. Rest in peace. Seriously though, all of Shel Silverstein’s books are golden. He has such a gift for taking apart the world and repackaging it in such a way that is, admittedly, a little strange, yet simple to understand. For a list of the most treasured Shel Silverstein quotes, check out this article!

 

5. The Little Engine That Could

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
This is one of those books that you just know is going to stick with you for the rest of your life. I can’t even begin to count how many times my mom quoted, “I think I can, I think I can,” when I was complaining about how I will never be able to finish this homework, or memorize that piano piece in time for the recital. Annoying? Yes. Effective? Absolutely.

6. Oh, The Places You’ll Go

This quote says it all. You are smart, and you are able, so go out there and live!

7. Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
I think my parents first knew I was a realist, (or as some people call it, a pessimist) when I chose this as my favorite book in 2nd grade. The struggle is real, and Alexander is such a champ. He even learns a thing or two about how maybe, just maybe, the way to handle bad days isn’t by running away, but by facing them head on.

8. A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
Confession: I love these books. I love the weird quotes and descriptions that make familiar situations seem strange and new, and the strange experiences oddly familiar. If you haven’t already read these books, I highly recommend them, even though they are aimed towards junior readers.

9. The Giver

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
This was my first introduction to dystopian literature, and I ate up every word. While the purpose of this book is to show that we need to experience that bad things in life in order to truly appreciate what makes good things good, this lesson hits us differently as adults. For most of us reading this in 5th grade, not many truly terrible things had happened to us; so while we could appreciate the theory of what Lois Lowry was trying to say, as adults we have actually experienced tragedy. And we may need some reminding of why pain is necessary.

10. Winnie-the-Pooh

Image via Flickr
Image via Flickr
Such wisdom from a forrest full of characters. Pooh and his friends encounter some unique situations, and teach us how to deal with different kinds of people from the melancholy (Eeyore), to the anxious (Piglet), and even our hyper-active friends (Tigger).

Read more on the original post.
 
I will do my top 10 soon, it only includes 1 of these, can you guess which one? 
 

Love Dotty xx

No comments: