Friday 30 July 2010

organised chaos and garden goodness

Today I spent the entire time cleaning up my dining/school/sewing/craft/computer room. I need to think of a name that combines that lot, anyway with decorating going on and getting junk from my mum who's moving our house is a tip, you have to do the shimmy around everything so enough I said to myself this morning and cracked on and spent until about an hour ago tidying, sorting and making it pretty. At last it is finished, I feel free now to create again instead of looking around knowing there is a great big job to be done. Peruse at your leisure my room...... the view from the comfy chair over my easel....
in the far corner is my sewing machine although you can't make it out on here....

another corner full of junk oh I mean collectibles....


view from sewing corner to my easel, see the woman puppet hanging up I got her from Robin hoods bay near Whitby many years ago on holiday, she is called Petronella after a daft poem me and my best friend used to laugh at in English class, the boys are scared of her and so is Tom which makes me laugh, she's on string and when you move her, her dress billows behind her like a ghost, its funny!....



lots of suitcases and hat boxes full of wool and fabric. I'm very happy with the organisation and not sure how long it will last but for now I'm loving it!.
Our garden is in full bloom now, what little I planted that is compared to last year, the faithful lavender is gorgeously purple and smells divine, it's also chicken proof for some reason they don't eat it, maybe they don't like the smell.


Also our blackberry and blackcurrant bushes have started to fruit, giving copious amounts of juicy goodness. I collected some yesterday and we had them with some welsh drop cakes for breakfast, I got the recipe out of the hairy bikers cookbook which I have borrowed from the library, not as keen on them as Rachel Allen's pancakes which is a firm favourite in our house.



Yummy goodness with Able and Cole red gooseberry's. I also made some redcurrant jelly as we went around the allotments for open day and ended up buying a punnet of the sour things, it turned out rather well although it is very zingy. You just weigh the redcurrants and then put the same weight in sugar in a pan, bring to the boil, cook for 6 minutes stirring now and then, skim off the froth ad put into sterilised jam jars (put into a pan with water to cover the jars and heat up the water, leave to boil for a few mins, be careful on getting the jars out, they are roasting!), when you have put the fruit in the jar and fastened the lid, tip it upside down and leave to cool, this creates a vacuum in the jar. We had ours with some organic lamb and roasted veg and it was lovely.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Oh Ruby I can smell that delicious jam from here mmmmm.Dont cha feel good when you have tidied all up ?,ready to start all over again ..love Jan xx