Sunday 27 June 2010

toothache and hot weather and oil pulling x

Hot weather
Its been hot, rather to hot for a red head like me, I burn so easily and get cranky when I'm too hot, my ridiculous big boobs get all sweaty underneath-gross I know- and this makes me cranky too, ohh Im a moaner hehe. But on the upside the tomatoes are growing so well and the lettuce leaves have been abundant, people smile in the sun, all the shorts come out and men think its OK to walk around topless, sometimes it is OK if they have lovely bodies hehe, and I have the yearly dilemma of what to wear to keep cool plus hide my wobbly bits without looking like a farmers lass- that's what my mother calls me!, Nothing wrong in looking like a farmers lass if that's what you are ( oh how I wish I was) but in the middle of Blackpool people are horrid and normally I don't care what others think but a small bit of me does feel sad when I hear nasty comments about me. This is a bit pathetic but the other day I popped to the shops and two teenagers behind me kept giggling and said "looks like she got dressed in the dark", I was immediately transported back to being 14 and feeling like a frump, I went home and told Tom and he cheered me up by saying "you should of said to them, well it looks like your dad f*!ked a wotsit", at the moment most teen girls round here are bright orange with fake tan so it was really funny.

Teeth and Root canals
Another thing this past couple of weeks is I have had 2 fillings in the same tooth, the first one had to be replaced as it had a hole in and was giving me some pain, then this second one is even worse, so bad I had to take pain killers which I hate taking every 3-4 hours just to make it bearable, I went back for an emergency appointment and the dentist took x rays of the tooth and she said I need to have a root canal done and had infection and loosening of the gum around the tooth, she gave me antibiotics and I have to go back at the end of July - the first available appointment to have the work done.
I hate injections and normally have fillings etc without them but with having a nerve pulled out I was going to have to have one, eek, scary. I felt like shit, my mouth throbbed and every time I moved I could feel the blood pumping through the sore tooth, my jaw ached and I felt sleepy all the time because of the meds, it got to the point yesterday where I was sat at the computer crying with pain and I couldn't stand it anymore, I search for some alternative help for tooth ache and found this site so I tried the salt mouth wash with much skepticism but I couldn't believe it after three mouthfuls the pain was bearable, it just ached like I was bruised, no searing throbbing like before, it was a miracle, I could smile again. I carried on at various time throughout yesterday rinsing my mouth and no pain all day, just a bit tender. Its amazing. I want to shout and tell everyone because its so good.
Oil Pulling
Whilst looking for info I came across lots of bad press for root canals, like breast cancer links and other nasty stuff, I have not research this enough yet to give an opinion but it did worry me quite a lot so I started to look for alternatives and found out about oil pulling, a very curious ayurveda process, this is what your meant to do:

In the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach you take one tablespoon in the mouth but do not swallow it. Move Oil Slowly in the mouth as rinsing or swishing and Dr Karach puts it as ' sip, suck and pull through the teeth' for fifteen to twenty minutes. This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. Swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. The oil must not be swallowed, for it has become toxic. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. If the oil is still yellow, it has not been pulled long enough. It is then spit from the mouth , the oral cavity must be thoroughly rinsed and mouth must be washed thoroughly. Just use normal tap water and good old fingers to clean.

Clean the sink properly, you can use some antibacterial soap to clean the sink. Because the spittle contains harmful bacteria and toxic bodily waste. If one were to see one drop of this liquid magnified 600 times under a microscope, one would see microbes in their first stage of development.

It is important to understand that during the oil pulling / oil swishing process one's metabolism is intensified. This leads to improved health. One of the most striking results of this process is the fastening of loose teeth, the elimination of bleeding gums and the visible whitening of the teeth.

The last paragraph really spoke to me, maybe there is an alternative to more dental treatment after all. You can get more info on oil pulling at this site.
Day one of oil pulling:
I got up and blew my nose, had a small glass of water as my throat was so dry and had a tablespoon of organic olive oil, I couldn't get any organic sunflower oil from near where I live and didn't really want to use non organic although on the site they say it doesn't matter, I will hopefully get some later. At first the oil tastes quite strong and my immediate response was to spit it out, but as soon as I started swishing it around my mouth the taste went away, it was just a warm thickish liquid feeling, I set the timer and began washing up, by the ninth minute all phlegm had gathered in my throat and it felt gross, after 10 minutes I had to spit it out and cough up all the mucus, it was weird how much came up as I don't have a cold, I then measured out another spoonful and resumed the swishing, again by 10 minutes mucus had formed in my throat and I was glad I could spit it out. My nose needed blowing again and I spat up more gunk.
Pros: its not THAT bad after the initial taste, 20 mins goes faster than I expected, it excited me how much gunk came out because its the start of becoming more healthy. Hopefully this will save me a trip to the dentist!
Cons: the mucus/phlegm at the back of my throat was really annoying and it made me feel like I could choke if I didn't spit it out, I guess it will become more bearable as time goes on.
The boys thought it was horrid hearing me coughing up gunk!
I hope to post on my oil pulling experiment and give you a clear and honest view of it, so sorry if it gets gross sometimes!!

1 comment:

Pippa said...

Eek, toothache is horrendous. I had a choice last year of having the root canal in my wisdom tooth filled or have the whole tooth removed. I'd been in pain for a few days and was desperate to be rid of it, so got the dentist to pull it out straight away. You have my sympathies. Really interesting about about the alternative treatments though. Hope you are pain-free and everything is sorted soon.

People do seem to think that they can make horrible comments. As a leftover from being bullied at school, I still freeze up when I see large gangs of teenage girls as I always expect some nasty comments. I LOVE your other half's comment though, that made me laugh and it's so true too!!

You're not the only one who's started to moan a bit about the hot weather. Hot weekends where we live mean BBQing from the neighbours and my stomach just isn't up to greasy burger smells wafting over the fence!! (whispering) roll on Autumn! hehehe